When preparing to store your belongings follow these tips and you might be able to save money by renting the right sized unit.
- Gather the things you are least likely to need during the time you are storing your belongings. Place these things in the room first.
- Place electronics in the back of your unit, away from the door.
- Leave a few inches of space between your items and the wall for better ventilation.
- Pallets are available most of the time for customers to use in their unit for ventilation underneath their goods.
- Store the heaviest items on the bottom and lighter items on the top.
- Disassemble as many things as possible.
- When possible, use the same size boxes, they stack better and create efficient use of space.
- Protect your belongings. Wrap furniture with pads, use bubble wrap on breakables, be sure to coat metal objects with a rust preventative.
- Pack boxes orderly and FULL. Partially empty boxes are a waste of space and can collapse from any weight put on top of them.
- Label each box with its contents and place the box so that you can read the contents label.
- To make unpacking easier, identify which room the contents of the box belongs in.
- Store television sets on top of something, not the concrete floor.
- Store mattresses in a mattress bag and keep the mattress off the floor to prevent condensation.
- Use wardrobe boxes for hanging clothing and draperies. This prevents wrinkling and the collection of dust.
- Place important papers and documents in one box and store it near the door for easy access.
- Place the things you are most likely to need closest to the door for easy access.
- Do not store food products in your unit. The food can spoil or attract rodents and insects.
- Do not store TOXIC or HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, EXPLOSIVES, FLAMMABLES, FIREARMS, LIVE ANIMALS, DRUGS or any illegal or stolen items.
Boxes and packing supplies are available at the Kenwood Storage office including boxes in several sizes, tape, bubble wrap, wrapping paper, glass and dishware packing materials and more. Our staff will be happy to assist you with your questions about packing and offer more tips on smart packing!